This gluten-free zucchini lasagna is bubbly, melty, and sure to please! It is made with fresh, tender zucchini and a blend of savory, Italian-spiced beef and pork.
The zucchini in this dish replaces the noodles. This way, even if you are on a gluten-free or keto diet, you can still enjoy all the flavors of traditional lasagna.
And with an abundance of garden fresh zucchini, we have been including this delightful vegetable in nearly every meal.
Zucchini lasagna is a delicious way to use up that summer bounty!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Zucchini lasagna is an easy weeknight meal that comes together in just a few simple steps. Use a mandolin cutter to make things quick and easy.
And if you don’t have one, no need to worry. A sharp knife will definitely do the trick!
The meat is customizable, so if you only have one or the other of ground beef or pork sausage, you can just use that.
You could even substitute ground turkey or chicken. As long as you have a total of one pound of ground meat, you’re good to go.
This is a super healthy recipe that is not only gluten-free but low-carb as well. As long as you have zucchini, the rest of the ingredients are staples you likely already have on hand.
It’s also a great way to get vegetables into pickier eaters. Tasty, rich, and healthy, zucchini lasagna is a truly satisfying dish for the whole family.
How To Cut Zucchini Into Lasagna Noodles
Slicing your zucchini is the very first step to making this lasagna.
Start by cutting the ends off your zucchini. Then take your knife and cut lengthwise into ⅛-¼” slices. Using thinner slices helps keep the water in the zucchini from affecting your lasagna.
Remember, even if your slices don’t look perfect, they will be mostly hidden, and your lasagna will still turn out delicious.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Get my full disclosure here.
How To Make Zucchini Lasagna (the simple way)
You will only need a few key ingredients to make this easy veggie lasagna:
- Ground beef and Italian sausage
- Diced onion
- Ricotta and mozzarella cheese
- Pasta sauce
- Simple seasonings for the meat: Italian seasoning, cumin, salt, and pepper
See the printable recipe card below for exact measurements.
Start by browning your meat with the garlic and onion in a cast iron skillet. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, and cumin as the meat is cooking.
In an enameled 8X10 cast iron pan, layer the sauce, zucchini, meat, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. Continue layering in this way, ending with the mozzarella cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375°F for 1 hour. Uncover for the last 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.
How to make zucchini lasagna not watery?
While I don’t particularly mind my zucchini lasagna a little watery, I know some of you may not agree.
Here are a few techniques you can try.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise and lay it out on a clean towel. Gently salt and then dab dry after 10-15 minutes.
- Slice zucchini the same as above but position on a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes. This will make the zucchini a bit more crispy in the lasagna.
- Let the lasagna rest for about 20 minutes uncovered after baking to allow the juices to distribute evenly throughout the dish.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Feel free to substitute any ground meat for the beef and sausage.
- Make sure whatever knife you use for slicing up the zucchini is nice and sharp. This will make getting thin, even slices, much easier. But be careful!
- It’s important to bake uncovered for the final 15 minutes to brown the cheese a bit and make everything extra melty.
- I prefer to shred my own mozzarella as I think it gives the best texture.
- Minced garlic makes a wonderful addition to the meat as it’s browning, if you enjoy that flavor.
What To Serve With Lasagna
Can I Make Lasagna Ahead of Time?
You can certainly put this together a day or two ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator. Just add your layers and keep covered in the fridge until you’re ready to bake and serve.
To freeze lasagna, simply let it cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap.
If you are looking for more great healthy meal ideas, try one of these great recipes below.
- Fried zucchini cakes
- Chicken pesto pasta
- Corned beef and cabbage
- Stovetop beef heart
- How to boil ground beef
- 1 large zucchini sliced lengthwise in thin strips.
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 pound of ground pork sausage
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tub of ricotta cheese 16 oz
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar of pasta sauce 24 oz
- 1 teaspoon of salt and Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and cumin
- Brown the meat in a cast iron skillet with the garlic, onion, and seasonings.
- Then, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Layer the ingredients in an 8X10 enameled cast iron pan.
- Start with a thin layer of pasta sauce, followed by zucchini, meat, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
- Continue layering, ending with the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes.
- Allow the dish to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.