A delicious pre-dinner appetizer or a steller snack for any occasion. This Korean garlic bread is filled with rich flavors of garlic, butter, and cream cheese.
I was recently thumbing through Pinterest looking for new recipe ideas when I came across a Korean garlic bread recipe. And by “thumbing,” clearly I mean scrolling. This one was intriguing simply because it is such a wild spin on the standard french bread loaf garlic bread here in the US.
How to Make Garlic Bread in a Dutch Oven
Using a dutch oven to bake bread helps with more evenly baked bread, perfect for making artisan-style bread, which is what we are going for. And by keeping the lid on, at least during the first half of baking, it contains the steam inside the dutch oven allowing the crust to stay soft and cool longer.
How to Make Korean Style Garlic Bread
The main difference between this garlic bread recipe and the standard American french loaf garlic bread is the cream cheese filling, the thick garlic sauce with egg, and that this is made from an artisan-style loaf. So really, everything is different.
How to Make The Garlic Bread
- Unbleached flour
First, measure out the water before stirring in the yeast. Then, set aside to let it fully dissolve. In a large mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, mixing well.
Add the water and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients, wet your hand and start kneading the dough. You may need to add more flour or water, depending on the consistency. If it is to sticky, add a bit of flour, and if it’s to dry, add just a bit of water.
Once the dough holds together well, cover with a towel and let it rise for about 2 hours, preferably in a warm area. After it has had time to rise, pull the dough away from the sides of the bowl and fold it in on itself. Re-cover and let it rise an additional hour.
Garlic Butter Sauce
- Heavy whipping cream
- Minced garlic
- Fresh parsely
Melt the butter in a small cast iron skillet on low heat. Add in cream, garlic, and parsley. Remove from heat and beat in the egg. Make sure the skillet is cool enough so that the egg does not start to cook.
Garlic Bread Cream Cheese Filling
Soften a brick of cream cheese before using a hand mixer to whip it smooth. Transfer to a small ziplock bag and cut two small perpendicular slits in one corner.
How to Bake the Garlic Bread in a Dutch Oven
After the final rise, place the dutch oven in the oven and preheat it to 450°F. Once the oven is preheated, remove the dutch oven, drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom and place the loaf in—cover and bake for 30 minutes.
Now is the time to add the toppings. Be careful as these next steps will all be around an extremely hot dutch oven.
Remove the dutch oven and cut it into 8 slices being careful not to cut all the way through. Next, squeeze the whipped cream cheese into each of the sliced openings. Finally, drizzle the garlic sauce over top of the whole loaf and, leaving uncovered, place it back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
Let it rest before transferring to a serving plate.
More of My Favorite Appetizers
Not Your Ordinary Garlic Bread
Homemade Korean-style cream cheese stuffed garlic bread.
- 1 ½ cups of water lightly warmed
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the garlic sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
For the cream cheese filling
- 1 brick of cream cheese, softened
Prepping the bread
- Stir yeast into the water.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Once the yeast has fully dissolved in the water, about 10 minutes, add it to the mixing bowl.
- Wet hand and knead the dough until no longer sticky and holds together well. (if it's too sticky, add flour a tbsp at a time, or if it is too clumpy and dry, add water, 1 tbsp at a time).
- Cover and allow it to rise for approximately 2 hours. You can tell if the dough has risen properly by poking the side of it with your finger and it quickly inflates the indent. (it should have about doubled in size)
- Pull the dough away from the sides of the mixing bowl and fold it into the middle. Re-cover with a towel and let rise an additional hour.
- Place the dutch oven in the oven, then preheat the oven to 450°F
- Once the oven is preheated, remove the dutch oven; being very careful as it is EXTREMELY HOT, drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom before placing the loaf in. Put the lid back on and place it back in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven, cut it into 8 pieces being careful not to cut all the way through. Squeeze cream cheese filling into each of the cut rows. Then drizzle the garlic sauce over top the bread making sure to cover the entire loaf.
- Place back into the dutch oven and, leaving the lid off, bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
To make the garlic sauce.
- Melt butter in a small cast iron skillet over low heat. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the egg. Once butter is melted, remove from heat and gently beat in the egg.
To make the cream cheese filling.
- Whip the cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth. Transfer to a small ziplock bag and slice two perpendicular slits in one corner.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is calculated by Nutronionix. All nutrition should be verified independently by a 3rd party.
Leave a Reply