Venison tacos make such a great summertime meal! A perfect weeknight meal for the whole family ready in under 30 minutes!
While we don’t exactly celebrate taco Tuesdays as it’s intended, we do love tacos and feel they should be enjoyed any night of the week.
These venison tacos are made with all your favorite ingredients, just as they should be!
The corn and black bean salsa filling combined with perfectly seasoned venison taco meat and fried corn tortillas is the perfect southern meal.
How to make venison tacos
Try these chipotle street tacos that are to die for next!
Before we begin making these tacos, gather up the necessary ingredients, including taco seasoning ingredients. If you prefer to use a taco seasoning packet, go for it.
For the taco seasoning, I refuse to mix just enough ingredients for one recipe because, once you make tacos – you’ll be making them again.
So combine the following ingredients in a small airtight container, take out what you need for this recipe and store the rest for your next taco night.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes
Now for the actual tacos
- Ground venison
- Corn tortillas
- Taco seasoning
- Canned black beans
- Canned corn
- Red onion
- Jalapeno (optional)
Start by browning the meat in a large cast iron skillet and season with a generous amount of taco seasoning. Once the meat is browned, remove from heat and set aside.
Drain the black beans and corn before adding them to a crock or mixing bowl.
Add in diced onion, tomato, and jalapeno along with some cilantro, the juice from one key lime, and about a teaspoon and a half of taco seasoning.
Stir the filling, or salsa, or whatever you want to call it until the ingredients are well combined.
And lastly, the corn tortillas. Heat a cast iron skillet with a dash of butter and fry the tortillas for about ten seconds per side.
Add a scoop of venison taco meat, a generous serving of the corn and bean salsa, and serve immediately.
I drizzle the tacos with date sauce, but they are also amazing with a little bbq sauce or sour cream!
These tacos are made with naturally gluten-free tortillas as well as homemade taco seasoning.
Adding a batch of rice to the side of this dish is the perfect way to extend this meal!
I hope you enjoy this simple, family-friendly taco recipe! Let me know what you think in the comment section below.
And if you are looking for more great southern-style recipes, try out some of these below!
- Southwest chicken casserole
- Stuffed bell peppers (dutch oven recipe)
- One-dish chicken skillet
- Hearty sausage, peppers and rice
Venison Tacos with Black Bean & Corn Salsa
- 2 lbs of ground venison
- 1 can of black beans drained
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 jalapeno diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- 1 key lime
- 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning
- Corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Date sauce
- Brown venison in a large cast iron skillet with half the taco seasoning.
- In a large crock or mixing bowl, combine the black beans, corn, onions, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, the juice from the lime, and the rest of the taco seasoning.
- Remove the taco meat from the skillet, or use a new skillet and heat over medium heat with the butter.
- Fry the tortillas for approximately 10 seconds per side.
- Assemble tacos with meat, the black bean and corn salsa, and top with lettuce and cheese.
- Drizzle with date sauce and serve immediately.