This one-dish Mexican-style sausage and pepper dinner is made on the stovetop in a dutch oven in under an hour—a perfect summer meal without using the oven.
This easy sausage and pepper dish is delicious, packed with flavor and perfect for the entire family. It makes an excellent busy weeknight dinner or can easily be doubled and served for guests.
As the weather heats up across the midwest and the air conditioner is in full swing, I try to conserve as much energy as possible.
One way is to try and limit the use of the oven. This sausage pepper and rice skillet is a great hot meal made completely on the stovetop.
What you Need to Make a One-Pot Sausage, Pepper and Rice Dinner
- Sausage (I used pre-cooked Polska Kielbasa)
- Bell Peppers
- Onion (sweet or yellow)
- Tomato Sauce
- Water (or beef stock)
- Olive oil
How to Make Sausage Pepper and Rice?
This easy stovetop sausage and peppers with rice will be ready to serve in under an hour.
How to Cook the Peppers and Onions
Add a dash of oil to the bottom of your dutch oven and begin sauteing the onions and peppers. Add a couple of cloves of garlic, 2 or 3, depending on your preference.
About halfway through, add the sausage links, cut into about ½” chunks.
How to Cook the Rice
Once the peppers, sausage and onions are done, transfer them to a plate. Toast the rice in the dutch oven in a little butter; about 5 minutes.
Add tomato sauce and water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and leave covered for 18 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
When the rice is done, remove it from the heat and add the peppers, sausage and onions.
Season with chili powder, garlic and onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper.
Serve with dinner rolls and a side salad.
Tips and Questions
Toasting the rice in butter or an oil such as coconut oil enhances the flavor of the rice.
Simply add the sausage in right away with the onions and peppers. Cook until done, about 7-10 minutes.
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Reheat in small batches in the microwave or oven.
Yes, simply follow the instructions on the back of the package.
More of My Favorites
- Dry Rub Backstrap Recipe
- Korean Garlic Bread
- Stuffed Peppers
- Dutch Oven Goulash
- Classic Venison Chili
- Polska Kielbasa, 14 oz.
- 1 cup of rice
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of tomato sauce, 15 oz
- ½ cup of water (or beef stock)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of green chilis, 4.5 oz
- ¼ tsp of chili powder, garlic and onion powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- ½ tsp each of salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro for garnishing
- Chop onions peppers and sausage.
- Using a dutch oven, over medium heat, saute peppers and onions in the olive oil and minced garlic.
- Add sausage after cooking the vegetables about half way through.
- Once sausage is almost browned, about 5 minutes, add green chillies, allow them to heat up, then transfer to a plate.
- Toast rice in the dutch oven with the butter.
- Once the rice starts to toast on the edges, add tomato sauce and water, cover and bring to a boil
- Reduce stove to simmer, leave covered, and allow rice to cook for 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add sausage vegetables meat and seasonings.
- Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 828mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is calculated by Nutronionix. All nutrition should be verified independently.